Thursday, December 27, 2012

My Favorite Dresses of 2012

I was cleaning up my photo files yesterday and, looking at the thousands of pictures we took this year, brought back some fond memories of the many vintage dresses that have passed through my hands and gone to live in new homes.  Here, in no particular order, are my Couture Allure favorites of 2012.

Oh, the evening gowns!  On the left, a 1940s beaded crepe with the most wonderful draping at the back and on the right, a 1950s burlesque stage gown covered in sequins with a tulle hem.

Remember that 1950s gold Suzy Perrette?  It sold within minutes and I hear the new owner is wearing it with much panache during this, the golden anniversary year of her birth.  The 1950s purple silk satin had the most intricate beading and draping and there were little pleated fans of fabric on the underskirt.

On the left, a 1950s fiery red silk chiffon and on the right, an early 60s stunning rose print taffeta ball gown.  Both dresses had back drapes, one of my favorite design details.

And speaking of 60s, the Victor Costa brocade dress on the right was woven in the most wonderful op art pattern.  The magenta jacquard cocktail dress and coat set by Mardi Gras was pure Jackie.

Who can resist puppies and polka dots?

There were dresses from important designers like Renee Marciel, left, and Pauline Trigere, right.

Like Claire McCardell, left, and Mollie Parnis, right.

You know I love a fabulous pop art or op art print and these two cotton shifts were stand outs in 2012.

Which is your favorite?

Side note:  Due to a huge increase in the number of spam comments from Asian manufacturers of garbage garments this blog receives, I have been forced to close comments to those of you who are members of the blog.  If the spam continues, I will have to close comments completely for a while.